Telegram is undoubtedly a powerful messaging tool that is famous for its large group sizes and frequent feature additions that puts it on par with WhatsApp in many aspects. Like all messaging applications, message pile-up and accidental deletion are very common for users. WhatsApp creates frequent backups both on-device and in the cloud and is very easy to restore the deleted messages. But to recover deleted Telegram messages is a very complicated process.
Unlike WhatsApp, the messages and chat backups are stored on the cloud only. That means the text messages are not ever stored on the device itself. It is both secure and troublesome at the same time as you have to follow a streamlined method to recover deleted Telegram messages, photos, and videos.
How to recover deleted Telegram messages on Android?
Textual chat Recovery:
To recover deleted Telegram messages or text chats follow these steps:
- Open the browser on your Android device and search for Telegram support. Click on the first link and you will be redirected to the support page.
- You will see three labels followed by three text input fields.
- Click on the first one and clearly describe your problem to the support team. Be elaborate and state the reason why you want to recover deleted Telegram messages and the problems you are facing because of it.
- Next, input the e-mail address that you frequently use and can access to stay updated about the progress.
- Lastly, input your phone number registered with the Telegram account that you want to recover deleted Telegram messages from and submit.
- Do not enter any other phone number as it would completely change the process and would pose trouble in verification.
- Wait for the e-mail response from the support team and follow their directions.
To recover images from deleted Telegram messages, do as follows:
- Open your File Manager application and search for the Telegram folder.
- Click on the folder and navigate to the Telegram images folder to find any of the files that were a part of the deleted messages.
To recover deleted Telegram videos from messages, do as follows:
- Open the file manager application on your Android device and search ‘Telegram’.
- Open the folder and navigate to the Telegram videos folder.
- Here, you will find all the videos that were shared on the application to date.
An alternative method for data recovery
Alternatively, if you accidentally deleted the images too, you can try to check the Android cache folder that houses the recently deleted Telegram messages data.
- Locate the Android folder using the file manager application on your Android device.
- Look for the ‘data’ folder that is present inside the Android file directory.
- Locate the Telegram application data folder. It will be labeled as ‘org.telegram.messenger‘ and click on it.
- The folder will contain a ‘cache‘ folder that houses all the recently deleted data.
- Open and check the files you want to recover and then copy them to an external storage or the Telegram folder.
How to recover deleted Telegram messages from the Windows application?
Telegram for PC is a boon for users that use the platform to do more than just casually text. Now, accessing your accidentally deleted files on PC is not as easy as you think and requires you to access the ‘AppData‘ folder in Windows.
To recover deleted Telegram messages on PC, do the following:
- Check that you use the Telegram application for windows and not the web version, otherwise this method won’t work.
- Press the ‘Windows key + R‘ combination on your keyboard which will generate the run window.
- Type in ‘%appdata%‘ and click on the ‘Enter key’.
- By default, the command opens the ‘Roaming folder which is a subdirectory of the App Data folder.
- Locate the ‘Telegram Desktop’ folder and double-click on it to open the folder.
- You will find a folder titled ‘tdata‘ that contains most of the data generated by the application and the conversations that take place in it.
- Navigate to the ‘user_data‘ folder and click on the ‘cache‘ or ‘media_cache‘ folder to locate your files.
- Like the Android cache, the above-mentioned folders also contain the recently deleted chats and media associated with them.
- You can easily copy it to an external storage device or the drive partitions present on your Windows PC.
Note: The App Data folder is very difficult to locate by directly typing in the query in the Windows search bar. It is hidden for a reason as it contains intricate application data. By using the run window, you can directly access the App Data and its sub-folders.
Can I use third-party software to recover deleted Telegram messages?
Third-party software offers little to no results in most cases and secretly install adware on your computer. You can use a trusted application to recover deleted Telegram messages from developers like Wonder Share. The methods that we have described are the best possible way to recover deleted Telegram messages and do not require any in-depth knowledge or third-party software installation.
Also, these methods are free and do not require you to make any additional purchase to recover your precious and confidential data.
Does the system cache-store all the deleted Telegram messages?
If you frequently clear the cache folder on your computer or Android device, the chances of recovering the images and data become very slim. Keep in mind that cache is temporary and is periodically deleted by system cleaning software to keep the storage space vacant.
Thank you for reading! Try these out too: